This is a taster class for children aged 7 to 11 years old. It includes seated and standing poses, balancing and mindful breathing.
Physical learning objectives:
- develop flexibility, range of motion and strength through yoga-based stretches and postures
- develop control and technique within the postures
- develop breath awareness and learn functional breathing habits (slow, nasal breathing).
Personal, social and emotional learning objectives:
- develop ability to focus on their own practice rather than others in the room
- develop resilience - understanding that some parts of the class might be hard (balancing), and the importance of persevering and not worrying about the outcome.
- cultivate the ability to relax, with awareness of physically relaxing specific parts of the body.
Communication and language objectives:
- learn yoga specific vocabulary to enrich their language environment
- respond to what they hear with relevant actions
- develop the ability to follow detailed instructions to develop skill and technique.
Equipment / space recommendations:
- Children will need space around them to reach their arms out to the side and to have a wide legged stance. They will also need space to lie on the floor.