This is a taster class for children aged 5 to 7 years old. It includes movement (on the spot), balancing and mindful breathing.
Physical learning objectives:
- develop balance and coordination through a range of different postures
- develop range of motion through simple stretches
- develop breath awareness and learn functional breathing habits (slow, nasal breathing).
Personal, social and emotional learning objectives:
- develop a positive sense of themselves and confidence in their own ability
- develop resilience - understanding that some parts of the class might be hard (balancing), and the importance of persevering and not worrying about the outcome.
- cultivate the ability to be still and to learn how to physically relax.
Communication and language objectives:
- engage with the story and yoga specific vocabulary to enrich their language environment
- respond to what they hear with relevant actions
- develop the ability to follow instructions to move into different postures.
Equipment / space recommendations:
- Children will need space around them to reach their arms out to the side and balance with their leg out behind them. They will also need space to lie on the floor.